Sunday, May 27, 2012

Recreating a lost quilt...in miniature

Recently I've been getting some of my creative mojo back....challenging myself to try new things.   Almost 2 years ago, I made a quilt for the 100th anniversary of Naval Aviation.  It's still in the "Lost Quilt Come Home" database.   So, two weeks ago, I decided to recreate that design in a 12 inch block for the EAA AirVenture Quilt Block Contest.   It's not an exact replica, but pretty close.   Here's what I sent off to Oshkosh, Wisconsin yesterday.
Instead of meandering the sky, I decided to echo the aircraft.  To simulate the tiny little sparkles on the top of the aircraft carrier, I randomly took little stitches with that silver metallic thread I haven't been able to use with my sewing machine because it breaks all the time. It took over three months to make the original.   This one only took a couple of weeks.  Remaking it was healing.   Here's to hoping the Post Office doesn't lose this one too. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this miniture. My spouse works on the V-22 in Amarillo, TX.

    ReplyDelete