Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summertime is quilting time!

There's nothing better than a morning walk (before it gets too hot)...some chores...and then afternoons of quilting...

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine, Liz B., gave me a bag full of material she decided she didn't need anymore. Here's what I did with it:


She had lots of fat quarters. I found out quickly that three fat quarters and a 5" border would make a charity quilt top...sort of using a stack, whack, and shuffle approach. Six quilt tops were made and I still have a pile of FQs in my quilt dungeon....uhhhmmmm... quilt cave, I mean. The tops will be taken to our service projects workshop on Thursday, where they will be sandwiched, tied, and bound.

The middle two pictures represent two QUAYGO (QUilt As You GO) quilts I made. Liz supplied the center sections. Next I took all of her baby fabric and incorporated it into 12 preemie quilts. Preemie quilts have a top and a flannel bottom (no batting). These will be donated to the Holy Cross Hospital Preemie Unit in Silver Spring, Maryland. Finally, Liz'a material was used in 5 pillowcases for cancer patients. Okay, I was having way too much fun, because I also made the following in the last two weeks.

The top two pictures show preemies made with donated fabric. The ones on the right were made with remnants of pre-quilted fabric donated by Jane. Two QUAYGOs are in the middle, each made out of donated center panels and batting scraps. The left bottom picture is a quilt top made with 3 fat quarters (with high heels and pocket books on them). Finally, there are 10 pillowcases waiting for someone to love. Hopefully some cancer patient will appreciate the Simpson and New Orlean Mardi Gra fabric. At any rate, I understand that Children's Hospital needs teenage boy pillowcases more than any other. Now, I have one of those (teenagers, that is) in my home. He's 16 and likes everything plain or black, black and black. No wonder they have a hard time getting ones that teenage boys like! Your suggestions are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment